Sunday 6 March 2011

Annemarie Wright meets Peter Oakley from The Zimmers

Yesterday I had the absolute pleasure of meeting a true gentleman, Peter Oakley from The Zimmers. The Zimmers are the oldest gigging band in the World - I think the average age of the band is 80!!!

www.thezimmersonline.com

Anyway, I decided to do a piece of Peter after it was suggested by a Twitter friend @truedantalion. I believe his real name is Micheal Dantalion. Anyway, Michael suggested that Peter was a really inspirational character and that it would be fantastic to do a piece of him - and he was so right!

Peter is an incredibly inspiring man, who has lived an incredibly interesting life. Other than the Zimmer's he is a regular YouTuber, known as 'Geriatric1927' or 'The internet grandad'.


Peter lives in a beatuiful old house in Derbyshire, that has loads of character and he went out of his way to make me feel welcome. He also gave me a signed copy of his Zimmer's single 'Old and Wise' - I will pop the video below for you to have a look at:




Anyway, I am very pleased to say that Peter was delighted with the piece of art that I did for him, using the lyrics to 'My Generation'.


                                                         


Thanks to Peter for a wonderful day!

Amw


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Annemarie!

    I loved reading your blog, and watching Peter's video about your visit to his place, and the gift you brought him.

    I only now read Clare's tweet, asking me about my surname - a whole three hours after she posted it ... sorry for that!

    So, in reply to her question: My surname is Eckstorm.

    "Dantalion" is my alias, and on YouTube, I had to add "True", as the name was alrady taken ... by someone who obviously doee not know who he is messing with:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dantalion

    Hahaha :-)!

    Since then, I got used to the Truedantalion ... and also to almost everyone pronouncing it wrong. But that is also true for my real surname ... *sigh* :-)!

    ~Michael

    ReplyDelete